The video was created in the first half of April 2020, while the world was rapidly overwhelmed by coronavirus, also known as Covid-19, and most countries were in lockdown. Physical contact was identified as the main cause of infection and to be absolutely avoided. Social distancing of at least 1,5mt was mandatory, and masks strongly recommended if not prescribed, to protect ourself and others.
In this video I visualize the tensions of this situation: the sorrow for those who fell ill and those who died, the fear to become infected and the frustration to keep friends and loved ones at safe distance. In the end I imagine the liberation and the beauty of the time when we can hug each other again: it will feel like the magic of your first romantic kiss ever.
Screenings en presentaties:
• 12 november – 13 december 2020: 33rd Festival Les Instants Vidéo 2020, Friche la Belle de Mai, Marseille.
• 19 juni – 26 juli 2020: UPDATE 20 “ART IS NOT CANCELLED”, Galerie VBK, Berlijn.
• 9 juni 2020: Connect 2020 – International Video Arts Festival, The Firehouse Cultural Center, Ruskin (Florida).
• vanaf 25 mei 2020: The Crown of the Corona, online exhibition curated by Boris Kostadinov, Artqol.
• 23 april – 31 mei 2020: Maria Korporal Monografie. Geselecteerde werken 2008-2020, op VisualcontainerTV
title: The First After-Corona Kiss
technique: Experimental video and animation
photos of the artist: Astrid Astra Indricane
music in the first scene: Live Set for My Castle of Quiet (excerpt) by Thomas Carnacki with Jesse Quattro
music in the last scene: Breathing by Spectacular Sound Productions
concept, images, animation, effects and montage: Maria Korporal
© Maria Korporal 2020