One of the most neglected aspects about refugees is that they are in a situation of emergency in which they have to take a decision immediately, and whatever they decide, there is no turning back. Just as the butterfly in this video: “Fourteen seconds to decide, will you stay or fly away?” Whether the butterfly decides to stay or to fly, the circle closes anyway and takes away any possibility to go back on the tracks.
The video is part of the project Korporal Zoo, a series of movies which deal with the relationship between animals and human beings studied from several perspectives: cultural, social, environmental.
The video is part of The Refugee Film Collection
– WOW.18/USA, Torrance Art Museum, Los Angeles/CA 2018
– Kunst im Dialog, Video night LITVAI gallery for photography, Landshut (Germany) 2018
– Maria Korporal: 6x5video – video art exhibition in Studio TiEpolo38, Roma 2018
– Strangloscope Festival, Brazil 2017
– VisualcontainerTV “Game Over”, 2017
– WOW.01/Kochi Muziris Biennale, India 2017
– Global Videos, around the earth 2016
– Festival Miden, Kalamata 2016
– Unabhängiges Medienfestival Tübingen 2015
title: Stay or fly away?
technique: Experimental video and animation
visual and sound: Maria Korporal